[LargeFormat] Large format photography with tripod in Paris

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Wed Mar 21 06:40:00 2001

At 17:23 19/03/01 +0000, Will Varnell wrote:
>I will be in Paris the first part of June and plan to carry my large
>format camera and tripod. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions about
>photographing in Paris?  I understand that the authorities are not to keen
>on tripods without  a "professional" permit.
>
>Also, will I be able to use my tripod inside any of the cathedrals?
>
>Will Varnell
>Birmingham, Alabama

The exact situation varies with location and specific
buildings......   Some of the gardens have specific rules about use of
tripods and a permit is required. Some people recommend asking first if it
is OK to use a tripod, others suggest setting up and making the picture
without approaching anyone......

I tend to take the latter approach when taking personal photos and have
enough French to get away with it should I be challenged - the main point
to get across is that you are not a megabuck pro. out to make a loadsamoney
from the photos, unless you are in which case you would have asked
permission or obtained a permit in the first place.......

If you ask permission for your personal shots then you leave yourself open
to attempting an explanation as to why you are using a tripod if you are
not a pro.

The sight of a tripod can act as sign to official types (red rag to a
bull?) that you are a "professional" and want to make postcards of their
buildings without paying a fee.  The worst case of this I have encountered
was in Spain when trying to take a couple of medium format snaps in a
public area seething with tourists all carrying cameras.  Suffice to say
that I was nearly arrested by the police at the venue when I refused to
stop using my tripod!  How can you explain ISO 6 to an officious uniformed
chap who claims to speak no English and you only know how to ask for
another beer in Spanish? ;-)

Cathedrals are more of a problem - quite often there are services ongoing
throughout the day and there are definite rules about the use of tripods
and cameras.

If you are going to Paris on your own then I would say wing it and enjoy -
if you will have a better half with you then leave the LF kit at home :-)

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography