[LargeFormat] Seeking info: B&J No 3a Rexo

Don Wilkes largeformat@f32.net
Tue Mar 13 15:19:10 2001

At 06:39 PM 3/12/01 -0800, Les Newcomer wrote:
>he refers to it as "postcard format" although that name as been used by
>a lot of large size roll film cameras.

Ah, this may help a lot in rummaging on the net and such.  Thanks.

>This Graphic was the first to have a removable spring back to allow for
>a roll back. This roll back used 5.5" spools and roll the film from
>bottom to top or top to bottom.

On this one, the film goes the other way.  I wonder why Graflex opted for
that method?  It sounds inherently more problematic, especially for film
flatness, not to mention the awkwardness of handling such large rolls in
the darkroom.

>The name of the shutter is Acme, it was made by Ilex, which I would
>assume to be from the 40s or 50s not the teens.

Ah -- that makes sense.  The camera does seem to be in too good shape for
it to be from the teens, although I have a hunch from the styling that it's
older than the '50s.  Gotta get a digital snap of this beast...

Thanks again,
\donw