[LargeFormat] Scanning B&W negs in colour

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Feb 22 19:02:02 2001

At 10:06 pm -0600 21/2/01, Pam Niedermayer wrote:

>Clive Warren wrote:
>>  I was a little disappointed with the 4x5 B&W neg. scans carried out
>>  so far, but I have only tried a couple so it may be the case that
>>  more experimentation is needed. When the limits of the SilverFast
>>  software is reached then VueScan may be worth a look if the B&W negs
>  > are still unsatisfactory.
snip

>Yes, definitely keep at it, getting high quality scans is not a
>trivial effort. If there were any real connection between PS and
>scanning software, most likely it was simply the 256 number, since 256
>can be represented in 8 bits, or one word on older pc's. These days
>words are much longer, of course, but this is the type of thing that
>could be held over in pursuit of compatibility.
snip
Pam

Thanks Pam, will definitely be trying out a few more negs after the
weekend and see if I can beat the system into submission :-)

Will let you know how it goes....
--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography