[LargeFormat] LF Camera Case

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Fri Jan 12 10:32:01 2001

At 12:38 09/01/01 -0800, Paul and Paula Butzi wrote:
>big snip
>LowePro make a series of soft-side cases with interior dividers called
>the Omni series.  My 4x5 gear all fits into a model called, if I recall=20
>correctly,
>snip
>The nice thing about the Omni series of bags (I also own one for
>35mm gear) is that they are sized to fit exactly into appropriately
>sized Pelican hard cases.  Pelican cases are basically completely
>indestructible, so if you put the LowePro bag inside one, the gear
>is well protected.
>
>For working close to the car, I take the harness off and just use
>the shoulder strap.
>
>-Paul

The discussion on bags has got me thinking again about a better solution to=
=20
air travel with the LF outfit.

Have just checked out the prices at LowePro UK as the idea of a neat and=20
safe solution to travelling with the LF outfit has become rather attractive=
=20
:-)  The bags seem excellent.  The only criticism would be the fact that=20
they open to expose all the contents so working in dusty conditions would=20
allow contamination of everything inside the case unless kept in ziplock=20
bags - probably a good idea in in the desert......

Have to say that the prices in the UK of the Omni-Trekker are what we would=
=20
expect - =A3129 ($210), however the price of the hard case (Pelican and=20
LowePro case are identical) is a bit high - =A3199 ($320).  These prices may=
=20
need to be adjusted upwards as we also have Value Added Tax at 17.5% here=20
in the UK - I forgot to ask whether this was included.

Anyway, it's all far too much money at the moment unless the prices are=20
significantly lower in the USA. Perhaps someone has an idea of the best US=
=20
prices ?  May be an idea to purchase the bags in the USA on the next trip.

My solution next time around in the absence of the rather wonderful LowePro=
=20
gear is to use the trusty two wheel hand cart and perhaps this time a=20
couple of cheapo alloy covered flight cases. The usual bags will also be=20
packed so that everything can be transferred on arrival at destination.  If=
=20
you are travelling in your own car with no worries about air travel then I=
=20
guess you have a lot more choice.

All the best,
                 Clive   http://www.f32.net
                         Large Format Travel and Stock Photography