[LargeFormat] LF Camera Case

Paul and Paula Butzi largeformat@f32.net
Tue Jan 9 15:46:08 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Philip <pjmccourt@ameritech.net>
To: <largeformat@f32.net>
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 3:11 AM
Subject: [LargeFormat] LF Camera Case

> I built a 8x10 monorail camera and was wondering what type of case's or
> trunks that everyone uses to haul there equipment around. Now that my
> camera is done I want to start designing a case to haul it around
> instead of using the seat belt on the car or truck. We do mostly
> landscape work and most of the time do not venture to far from the
> truck.

LowePro make a series of soft-side cases with interior dividers called
the Omni series.  My 4x5 gear all fits into a model called, if I recall correctly,
an Omni-Trekker, which has a detachable backpack harness of sorts, as
well as a over the shoulder strap.  All my 4x5 gear fits inside - Linhof
Technikardan 45s, five lenses, meter, filters, loupe, and a box for a pile
of Readyloads/quickloads and holder, along with all the other miscellany.

The nice thing about the Omni series of bags (I also own one for
35mm gear) is that they are sized to fit exactly into appropriately
sized Pelican hard cases.  Pelican cases are basically completely
indestructible, so if you put the LowePro bag inside one, the gear
is well protected.

For working close to the car, I take the harness off and just use
the shoulder strap.

-Paul