[LargeFormat] Enlargers and Glass Neg Holders

Clive Warren largeformat@f32.net
Thu Dec 7 18:47:08 2000

At 4:57 pm -0600 7/12/00, Lee Carmichael wrote:
>Clive,
>         For several years I printed with a 5x7 Elwood it had a
>diffusion light source and a glass carrier.  I never had Newton
>Rings.  I did have a lot of dust, but I learned how to deal with it.
>Clean with soap and water and dry them very dry before you put the
>neg in place.  I suspect that some of the reason I had little or no
>spotting was because of the diffused light source.  Condensers
>exaggerate the problem, IMO.  I now have a D-2 with the VCL 4500
>coldlight that Aristo makes and still not much dust.  YMMV.

Well that goes to show that it can be done :-)  One of the 138S
enlargers here has a Chromega E Dichroic head so guess I will be
using that one with the 5x7 glass carriers. Hopefully the diffused
light source will have the same effect for me - condenser enlargers
definitely make the problem worse even without glass.....

I may try to use isopropanol alcohol to degrease and clean the glass
followed by a micro-fibre cloth wipe.

One of the glass sheets (the top one) is anti-Newton glass. I have
had Newton rings before with another very old enlarger - which also
put me off glass carriers....

--
All the best,

             Clive Warren   http://www.f32.net
                            Large Format travel and stock photography