[Jacob-list] old sheep care

Avillion Farm avillionfarm at avillionfarm.com
Sun Mar 30 13:31:59 EDT 2014

I usually keep an old granny or two around and they live with the ewe lambs – less competition and more food.

This year we have ewes 11, 12 and 14 raising lambs happily. I put them in with our lambs during late pregnancy and gave them
a supplement tub (Carmelyx); I like the supplement tubs for quick energy because they can just lap at it and it is nice for ewes
in late pregnancy when it is a bit harder to meet their energy needs with even good hay due to less room in abdomen because of
uterus full of lamb. The supplement tubs also work well for the elderly toothless one.

You can also make them mush out of 50/50 mix of wheat bran and oatmeal if desperate. We had a ewe that made it to 17 on grass
in the yard and twice daily mush.

Best, Elaina