[Jacob-list] Statistics on white cats

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Sat May 4 10:33:53 EDT 2013

The best test cross should be a moorit, probably a Shetland. Second best is probably a known homozygous white. Given large enough sample size, crossing to white will give you a 50/50 split if only one dominant black is present.

It was a lilac carrier Jacob ram crossed on white Lincoln-Finns that gave me the first clue that something was seriously screwy on our thinking of lilac as a simple recessive. All 13 lambs from 4 white ewes were black or black-piebald. The test cross of lilac ewes to our dear friend Betty’s moorit ram produced all black lambs.

Neal