[Jacob-list] ear tags

Cheryl Terrano paintedrockfarm at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 20:19:12 EST 2013

For long-term tags, I use and prefer the round button style tags from All-flex. (These are our scrapie tags for the VSFCP.) My personal experience has been very good with this style with minimal loss of the tag. Some determined ones always seem to rip them out, which is so lovely on the ears. The All-flex tags are a bit heavier so I normally don't apply these until a lamb is at least 3 months old.

At birth, I tag my lambs with a small plastic Roto-tag that I normally order from Sheepman Supply. Last year, I could not get the Roto-tags so I ordered a tag from Premier that was supposedly "better" than my trusted Roto-tag. I was very disappointed. The Premier tags broke apart rather quickly or were easily torn from the ear than the Roto-tag brand I had used in years past. I will not be ordering any more Premier ear tags.

One type of tag that shouldn't be overlooked is the small brass tags. They are hard to read as time passes but they have the longest 'life-span' I've ever seen. I have a 20 year old sheep who still retains her brass lamb tag. Other foundation flock members who have since passed also retained their brass lambing tags for their lifetime.

With all that said, one should consider multiple tag styles that work with a specific brand of ear tagger. That way, if a style is discontinued, you can hopefully find a similar substitute that will work with your tag applicator. With my Roto-tags, I have to have one tagger and with the All-flex ones, another one. If I chose to go the brass tag route, it would mean another tagger purchase. I have not yet found an ear tag from a local supplier that isn't weighty to smaller Jacob ears. I normally have to order everything.

Cheryl Terrano
Painted Rock Farm

If you want to see God's power at work, you must get out of the church and into the world. Watch the extravagant lengths which God will go to reveal Himself to people who don't know Him. Then you will learn how truly awesome our God is. (Author Unknown)