[Jacob-list] Breeders who forgo tail docking: your experiences?

Peg Bostwick peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com
Mon Apr 15 09:56:11 EDT 2013

I think this is mostly a matter of personal preference. We have always had
a couple here and there with long tails, and never had a problem. Joe
docked our lambs because he preferred them that way. Last year he didn't.
We got some comments from buyers who planned to dock when they got them
home, but no one who refused to buy. I had a couple of lambs with "nasty"
rear ends, but they needed cleaning up anyway and the tail didn't make it
worse. Our shearer does not complain about tails. I've shown sheep with
tails that have done well - some judges give you a funny look.

Lambs that have longer hair/wool on their tails may have a funny "poofy"
look that is a bit less than elegant. But overall, I like the fact that
they can protect their sensitive parts a bit from flies, and cold. They do
wiggle their tails at flies. Haven't had any breeding problems that I know
of. We are skipping docking again this year. If Joe goes back to it,
we'll go back to debating "how long" - at least a half tail is a good
compromise in my opinion.

Peg Bostwick

peg at sweetgrass-jacobs.com

517-626-6981