[Jacob-list] Breeders who forgo tail docking: your experiences?

Lindsay Oaster lindsayerin at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:17:58 EDT 2013

Hello everyone,

So far we have been docking tails on our lambs, and this year we are
considering leaving them intact. I understand that buyer preferences vary,
shearers generally find it more convenient when they're docked, and that
cleanliness can be an issue but Jacobs do have control over their tails.

I'm interested in hearing from folks whose sheep have their original
tails. Have you experienced difficulties with them breeding, keeping clean
(day-to-day or post-birthing), increased problems from flystrike or other
nasties, etc.? Anything else I should be keeping in mind?

-Lindsay Oaster
Fat Toaster Farm