[Jacob-list] Guardian discussion

Elizabeth Strub hobbyknobfarm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 12:33:38 EDT 2012

If barking dogs are not an option I would like to suggest considering llamas. I am also involved in llama rescue and know that you can get a guard llama now for the same price as a well bred LGD? with a large flock or pasture you would need 2. My shearer lost sheep to coyotes/dogs several years ago and was using a LGD at the time. He got 2 llamas and had no more losses. Not all llamas have the guard personality but I know that our rescue organization will work with folks to find the right fit. And any reputable llama owner will do the same. I have a female that cornered my dog years ago and she wasn't even in with sheep. I have had some llamas that would rather chase the sheep, so it does take the right personality. They also have an alarm call that can warn you ahead of tome if you are around to hear it.

Elizabeth B. Strub
www.hobbyknobfarm.com