[Jacob-list] predator question

Margaret L Wilson farfarawayfarm at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 01:44:09 EDT 2012

My $.02
Mt. Lions are very, very hard to see. They are very allusive. If you actually see one you are essentially over populated. They have multiplied on the West Coast to the point of attacking people in the suburbs. I have seen them here and shot at them. At one time our native lions populated the whole country.

This, IMO, is classic big cat behavior. I added 4 LGDs 5 years ago. They bark a lot but I have had no losses since they grew up. I can go out at night without a hand cannon. The coyotes go where there are easier pickins. Our Mt. Lions are big enough to pick up a sheep or goat and leap over the fence with it, without a sound or trace. They usually take their kill to a more secluded place to bury it. If it is a lioness with cubs it will be eaten completely. A lioness training youngsters is a serious hunter. One killed a foal across the road 1/2 mile away a few months ago. My dogs went crazy barking. It came back the next night and the owner shot her. She was hunting for her babies.

Coyotes are messier. They leave bits of wool and some bones.

Margaret SW Oregon
Sent from my iPad