[Jacob-list] Early breeding dates?

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Sat Sep 22 18:26:34 EDT 2012

I generally put my ewes in the end of September/mid October. A few years
I've put them in early September. The earliest they have bred is
September 23 for mid February lambs, with the majority breeding a little
later for early March lambs. This year I wanted to use the two senior
rams before they leave. I put the ewes in September 9. Breeding started
the 18th. This is what I've observed as I didn't ink the rams. There may
be surprises this spring. Of the 8 ewes, three have cycled. This is
pretty close to what I usually see. If I put the ewes with the rams mid
October, they will pretty much all catch within three weeks. If I put
them in early September, some will catch within a couple weeks, but most
will catch later.
So pretty much the same as usual this year in north Georgia.
Linda
.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>