[Jacob-list] lilac

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue May 22 17:23:42 EDT 2012

The British Breed Standard tends to enforce a desired type rather than something we might have seen circa 1701. There is nothing wrong with this as long as we all understand that is what it does. We really don’t have a base line of DNA to compare to anyway.

I will just add that in our experience, the lilac Jacobs retain the dominant Jacob black genetics, it is merely obscured by the presence of two lilac alleles. Crossbreeding lilac rams here to homozygous white ewes (as well as test crosses of Moorit to lilac ewes) always produced black lambs.

Neal Grose