[Jacob-list] WHITE LAMBS

Hettick, Heather hettick.1 at osu.edu
Thu Mar 29 13:41:31 EDT 2012

I had a ram lamb once who was all white. He had a normal colored sister and his mother rejected him but not his sister. He got pretty good at stealing milk so I never bottle fed him, but held his mother for him to nurse to get him started for the first week. He looked like a regular 2 horned Jacob ram, who we later wethered, other than his lack of color.

I figured excessive spotting for the explanation.

There are several all white breeds of sheep where the white is due to excessive spotting rather than the White pattern. In Icelandics they have both kinds of white and you can often tell which are excessive spotting because the white is "whiter" while the White pattern sheep can often have tan pheomelanin points on legs and face that can extend into main body wool .

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wor