[Jacob-list] what to do with wool after shearing

Zach Oaster zach at fattoaster.com
Sat Mar 24 13:57:40 EDT 2012

How much money do you want to invest?

You can advertise the raw fleeces on craigslist and invest nothing more
than your time. Most people either charge by the pound or by the fleece. If
you're wanting them to disappear fast, then charge $20/fleece. If you're
wanting to make money charge $10/pound (give or take depending on region,
quality, etc). This is the average I have seen for skirted fleeces. You
could always go sell these at a local farmers market as well...

If you want to invest more money, you can send your fleeces to a processor,
like Zeilingers Wool Co. in Frankenmuth, MI... and they will wash, card,
and turn your wool into roving. Roving can be sold to hand spinners and
other fiber enthusiasts... typically for around (again, average and
depending on quality and region), $30-ish/pound. Obviously, however, there
is a cost involved in getting the wool processed (cost depends on quality,
number of batches, etc).

Or wool can be used to bed gardens (keeps weeds away, etc), or any other
number of "google it" uses. Hope that helps!

Zach Oaster
zach at fattoaster.com
Visit Zach & Lindsay's farm blog: http://www.fattoasterfarm.com