[Jacob-list] SUED question

Linda patchworkfibers at windstream.net
Wed Mar 14 19:27:26 EDT 2012

So often questions are answered privately, when public replies would
benefit us all. It's possible (likely) that someone will disagree if you
respond publicly, but so what? That's how we learn.
I agree that I would not and do not cull for a minor notch. I cull for
traits that are discomforting, but if I have to grab a sheep and pull
his/her eyelid up to the top of the head to see a notch, I'm not going
to cull on that. Interesting that you mentioned the tufts. One of my
lambs born on Monday has a huge tuft. I just looked at it and thought
bad SUED. I grabbed him up yesterday to show someone a case of SUED. I
really had to pull to get the notch to show up. When I can get Dave to
hold while I photograph, I'll get some pictures.I did had two previous
lambs with a big tuft like that and both did have SUED to the point of
being a threat to their well being. This guy just has something you
wouldn't see unless you worked at it.
Linda.

--
Patchwork Farm Jacob Sheep <http://www.patchworkfibers.com>