[Jacob-list] Working System with Jacob Sheep

Marjorie Schafer MHSchafer at oglecom.com
Wed Mar 14 10:04:32 EDT 2012

Hello,

We're new to Jacob Sheep (less than a year). My husband and I are not as
young as we thought we were (!!!) and after our first real round of working
our sheep (giving CDT shots) my husband, in particular, is thinking perhaps
we need some kind of worker system, either a ramp/trim stand, or something
more complicated. We've been looking at a system called Billy Goat Gruff
Goat Worker System. A fellow shepherd (with Icelandic Sheep) has used this
with great results.

We found one of these systems, used and for a good price, but are wondering
if it would work with Jacob rams. The sheep go up a ramp into the main
working area, which closes around their neck. You can open up the side
panels to work on the sheep. I'm wondering about how wide the horn-span of
a 4-horn ram might be? We don't have a ram yet, just ewes at this point,
but are looking to get a ram in the summer. We're just wondering if he
would fit in the (enclosed) ramp and the working "cage."

Any thoughts you could offer about this--as well as tips on how you work
your sheep--would be most helpful.

I always love reading this list--it has taught me so much about Jacob Sheep!

Thanks in advance--

Margie
in Illinois