[Jacob-list] Looking for advice for infected foot

Richard and Susan stcroft at ptd.net
Mon Mar 12 17:37:03 EDT 2012

One of our rams is limping - left front foot is hurting him a lot. I
checked him thoroughly and discovered the pad area above the heel of the
hoof seems to be sore...no draining abscess, no pus, a little bit of blood
but I can't express anything. It is exquisitely tender so it would be an
understatement to say that my loving husband had a difficult time holding
him during the exam. The hooves are perfectly normal, in between the hooves
is normal ... But the area I described seems to be the problem and there was
also a foul odor and his foot is warm to touch - but again, no open wound,
pus, no burrs stuck in there, ankle and knee joints are normal, etc. I
washed the area with hydrogen peroxide and sprayed it thoroughly with Blue
Kote...and gave him an injection of Liquamycin LA-200, 5.5 cc sub q -
because that is what I had on hand. Any recommendations/suggestions?

Thanks..

Sue Martin

Stonecroft