[Jacob-list] mineral question

Elizabeth Bell hobbyknobfarm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 17:22:13 EST 2012

Sarah-your email refers to one of your sheep gulping down dirt-I have an older cotswold ewe that has done this twice this winter and I assumed she was eating too many dead oak or cherry leaves in the pasture or had gotten too much of something toxic. She is not bred, is actually on the hefty side. no other sheep have done this and she is in with the Jacobs also so I dont think it is related to the breed of sheep. I actually gave her doses of pepto bismal thinking it was something toxic. She got better but not sure if it was the pepto bismal or something else. She would also seem quite exhausted after this episode. The second episode seemed to end a little sooner. I was just assuming it was something toxic but none of the others were having this problem. So these emails make me think it is something else. But she recovers and physically doesn't change.
Elizabeth