[Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 98, Issue 18

Johann K johanndiedrich at msn.com
Sat Jun 23 01:20:36 EDT 2012

I butchered a Jacob ram in one of the "r" months and it was very strong flavored meat. I would not do it again. The ram was not even a year old.

Johann

From: lambfarm at tds.net
To: patchworkfibers at windstream.net; buddhababi at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 21:27:16 -0400
CC: jacob-list at jacobsheep.com; fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] Jacob-list Digest, Vol 98, Issue 18

I don’t find any difference either; however, I’ve heard it said that if you
want to be sure of no ram=iness taste in your slaughtered rams, butcher them in
a month without an “r” in it. That has nothing to do with r’s but only that rams
are seldom in rut from May through August: those are the months without r’s in
them, so they don’t smell as bad, and hence, they meat theoretically should not
smell like ram either. That said, I think it’s important in meat sheep,
but in jacobs and shetlands, I don’t think it makes one bit of difference when
they’re butchered.