[Jacob-list] tails/docking

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 13:29:43 EDT 2012

Another note about tails... is if you don't want to purchase a sheep purely
because it has a long tail, just remember that you can still dock it. I
just docked an adult Jacob ewe about a week and a half ago with a regular
docking band. She didn't complain any worse than the week old lambs, and
her tail unlike fine wool sheep tails, was still quite thin and bony, and
is now about ready to fall off. She seems no worse for wear.
A good friend of mine inherited a flock of large mystery sheep that hadn't
been shorn, docked, or castrated in about 3yrs. They where loosing sheep to
flystrike, and to getting casted, and some simply got stuck down after
rains for being sooo heavy. After shearing, I went back, and helped him
dock all the ewes and lambs. For this job we used the Callicrate bander,
and it worked very well. We docked about 15 ewes, about 45 lambs, and
castrated more adult rams than I would like to remember o_0. Only one three
year old ram had a problem, and he was a mess before anyway. Just make sure
and give them a tetanus shot before you start, and if you are using a
callicrate be familiar with the instructions!

Lynette
Four Points Farm & Shearing Services