[Jacob-list] lovegrass

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Wed Jul 25 08:03:43 EDT 2012

I found an article on attempting to control weeping lovegrass.

Most of the time, palatability is a good guide to energy content of forages.
Our sheep won't graze common burmuda if they have an option, but cows eat it
well. Crabgrass is a favorite of sheep and cows here, but be wary of
over-fertilization, and it is difficult to make into hay here because it
NEVER is out of case. Matua brome grass is a good option for cool season
grazing in our area even though it mildews in the spring. It is a heavy
reseeding short -lived perennial.

One native grass that seems to have a lot of potential for summer grazing is
Eastern Gammagrass. It is a broadleaved, bunch growing (advantage in
wildlife plantings), palatable and draught tolerant. Growth pattern
resembles Johnsongrass, but it dries for hay more easily and doesn't seem to
have the nitrate and prussic acid problems of Johnsongrass. The down side of
gammagrass is that it takes several years to establish. Seed must be
scarified or over-winter in the soil in order to germinate. (Gammagrass seed
cost a bucket-load, but the seeding rate is low - you only need about 1
plant per 3 sq ft ! )

Planting infected fescue and lovegrass might be a good idea if there are
areas that you don't want the sheep to overgraze?

Neal