[Jacob-list] Horn growth and patterns?

Carl Fosbrink fourhornfarm at frontier.com
Thu Jul 12 12:06:52 EDT 2012

Joy,

I do not show my Jacobs. I realize many do these days. It does get the breed out there for people to see, but I would encourage those who show to be careful and not let judges mislead you as to what is most important when breeding Jacobs. Jacobs at shows often do not have a judge that knows the breed and Jacobs are neither a meat breed nor a fleece breed, but often end up being judged for their fleece and are expected to have a long, soft, crimpy fleece. This may lead some breeders to breed with fleece as their main priority when our main priority should be preserving the American Jacob with it's primitive characteristics. Jacobs should have a deer-like conformation, a V shaped head, small scrotums or udders, be very hardy, good mothers, be able to do well on mostly a grass or hay diet and mostly not need help with lambing. They should not be treated like the modern breeds or they will lose their hardy characteristics. Try to make sure your judge is familiar with Jacobs before the judging. Maybe give him a copy of the Jacob Standard if he admits he is not familiar with the breed. It would be great if there were enough Jacobs there to have their own show against other Jacobs.
As to the question about trimmed horns in a show. As I said I do not show my Jacobs, but I do not breed with a ram that's horns have had to be trimmed. As a past inspector I personally would have failed a Jacob that's horns had to be trimmed in order to keep them from growing into the face because the Standard says it is unacceptable for a Jacob to have lateral horns that grow into the face. Using a ram that's horns had to be trimmed to keep them from growing into the face is breeding that trait into his offspring and is not something that I would do. I also feel that it would be something that would or should cause a good judge to disqualify a Jacob in the show ring.

Carl