[Jacob-list] No milk

Elizabeth Strub hobbyknobfarm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 15:42:27 EDT 2012

I have never had any problem feeding sheep milk replacer. I use sav a lam as that is what TSC carries. I have been fortunate enough to have a mom that supplied colostrum though. That is the most important ingredient for ANY baby in the first days of life. For sheep I believe it is 24 hours for best absorption of the Ig's in the gut. I always leave lambs with mom but they grow up to be friendlier and sometimes annoying when it comes to food. I have had to feed several jacob lambs, mom rejected her lambs and one mom had an udder that was non functional. So your question should be is the udder non functional for some reason or will she just not let the milk down? My vet freaked out and decided my ewe had one of those terrible diseases that effected the udder. I didn't believe him, bred her again and the udder still didn't work. She went to a friends farm as a non breeder and is healthy. I think she came with the faulty udder as I bought her bred but really no way of knowing.

As you probably know, don't overfeed the milk as they will get the runs. Feed small amounts often and increase slowly. Good directions on the bag and in raising sheep books.

And the ewe that came from the mom that rejected her lambs is a great mom. She just came back to my farm last night as her owner is divorcing. She must be 8 now. Good luck Laura, I am sure she will be fine. Ties you down a bit though.

Elizabeth B. Strub
www.hobbyknobfarm.com