[Jacob-list] Yearling ewe, no milk

Gary Anderson gbanderson at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 3 12:24:34 EDT 2012

We regularly breed ewe lambs to lamb as yearlings. This season we lambed 10
yearlings. Occasionally, one will lamb with little or (apparently) no milk.
I agree with Peg's suggestion to leave the lamb on the ewe. With continued
suckling stimulus, the ewe's milk production could, perhaps is even likely,
to increase within a few days, either sufficiently to support the lamb or
sufficiently to require only supplementation. I experienced a similar
situation in a yearling ewe this lambing season, little mammary development
and small lamb. He's now a ready-to-be-weaned ram lamb raised entirely by
his mom, except for my meddling during his first few days to ensure he would
survive until his mom could fully support him.

In my experience yearlings can require a bit more intensive husbandry at
lambing than does the adult ewe flock. Ensuring the ewe has sufficient milk
to support the lamb is one such area. Also in my experience the outcome is
almost always positive, but a bit of tinkering might be required at and
immediately after lambing.

Gary Anderson

Hillside Jacobs

Sparta, MI