[Jacob-list] felting on the live sheep

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Mon Aug 20 10:50:39 EDT 2012

I love spinning wool in the grease from coated Jacobs. Spinning in the grease and then washing the yarn sets the twist and fulls the yarn creating a soft but somewhat uneven product.

I can’t recommend coats for longwools because they are more likely to turn into throw-rugs under the coats; but, we used to coat Jacobs, and it worked well, even with our heat and humidity. The trick is that coats need to be changed several times during the year as they become more fluffy. We had several coats made with a zipper on the chest for the rams

Coating easily doubles the value of the fleece because you eliminate trash. I even used to clip the skirtings, throw that away and then go back and shear off the coated area so there would be no contamination.

Neal