[Jacob-list] Black Jacobs!

Zach Oaster zach at fattoaster.com
Thu Aug 9 13:36:54 EDT 2012

"Too dark" has been mentioned several times, but I think it is important to
point out that breeding for extreme lightness is also a fault. Jacobs are a
naturally black sheep with white spots, so a very dark sheep isn't
particularly unnatural... given that if you're registering them you should
cull outside the boundaries set forth by JSBA, etc. Personally, I find the
leaning-dark animals preferable to the leaning-light (just a personal
thing), but in my experience I've had to cull otherwise perfect rams for
being too light far more often than for being too dark.

Zach Oaster
zach at fattoaster.com
Visit Zach & Lindsay's farm blog: http://www.fattoasterfarm.com