[Jacob-list] heat stress

Kate Barrett katebarrett55 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 12:57:53 EDT 2012

Although Oregon has not had the heat the rest of the country is dealing
with I did have an old suffolk/dorset ewe down this morning, in the already
hot sun at 8 AM. . She is 12 years old, but has managed to keep her
weight.She is the last of my kid's 4H market lambs on the place, always
threw reserve grand champion lambs. She is arthritic and I think she got
on a slope and couldn't get up. I was able to get her up and walk her into
the shady barn and she drank a ton of water. left her there with some fresh
hay and some salt mineral with grain and alfalfa, which she was gobbling
up. I guess this is her last summer, but she is a fighter.
Also had a goat with a 8 foot section of wire panel around her neck this
morning...she was dragging it with her. Just when you think summer is the
slow time because the haying is done!
Kate
Ruby Peak Farms

--