[Jacob-list] Heat stress

Richard and Susan stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Aug 2 11:12:08 EDT 2012

Regarding heat stress on our Jacobs - my ewes seem a bit thinner this
summer, although we do have plenty of grass..the rams have not lost
condition...some days it's simply too hot to eat! Following a hot day the
sheep typically graze at night when it's cooler. I feed a loose mineral
mix for sheep from Tractor Supply made by DuMor and they really eat a lot of
this during hot weather - probably to replenish salt/minerals/etc. I have
also found that a splash of apple cider in their water seems to be something
they like..and it keeps the water fresh in their buckets. Here in
southeastern PA we are plagued with high humidity, contributing to an even
higher heat index on a hot day...and the sheep find shade and stay there
during the hottest part of the day.

Sue Martin

Stonecroft