[Jacob-list] two horned sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Wed Sep 7 16:02:40 EDT 2011

Dear Listers = The 2 horn / 4 horn question is as old as the documented
Jacob history. When the shepherd Abel Eyre listed Earl Fitzwilliams wool
clip in 1834, the "Spanish Sheep with 4 Horns" was listed as Jacob Sheep. The
Fitzwilliam flock was out of Wentworth and in 1750 is listed as one of two
documented 4 horn Jacob flocks, the second flock being Tabley Hall. One
other 1750 Jacob flock was Fairtfax Lucy Charlecot, Warwickshire, and noted
as a two horn. The documented history of "Jacob" flocks startes as a 2 out
of 3 are four horn and 100 years later there are only two other two horn
flocks; Henry Dryden (Canons Ashby) and Duke of Devonshire (Chatsworth)
noted. The majority (about 16 of 20) of documented flocks by the 1880s are
four horn. Elwes in "Guide to Primitive Breeds..." recaps the 2 horn vs 4
horn flock sources and is unable to cite the basis for the difference and
sources. Hence, by the early 1900s there are both 2 and 4 horn flocks. By
1960 the Jacob Sheep Society, following their breed standard, has three out
of four two horn Jacobs for breedshow winner types; four horn configurations
giving rise to "balance" and growth problems..

In the US in 1999, attention was directed to a decade (1989-1999) of
breeding trends both phenotype issues and breed genetic diversity: Two horns had
increased from 32% to 55%, and 4 horn had decreased from 68% to 45%. More
to the breed sex population point, the ratio of 2H ewes and 2H rams
followed the same trend (Journal of the JSC). The JSBA noted that the four horn
population in the decade ending 1999 went from 77% to 61%; no data by sex
but perhaps it was similar; and is now at 53%. Is the drop in 4 horn ratios
as significant today as it was in 1999? Breed associations often monitor
the health of a breed and perhaps a Jacob breed association, JSS as an
example, can provide guidance on the issue.

The Jacob is neither the only four horn breed nor only a four horn breed.
Regards = Fred Horak

In a message dated 9/6/2011 1:27:30 A.M. Central Daylight Time,