[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob BreedingStock"

Betty Berlenbach lambfarm at tds.net
Mon Sep 5 17:45:50 EDT 2011

Well, I have had as much luck selling two horned jacobs as four horned jacobs. Considering all aspects of the animal, a good two horn and a good four horned animal has always been saleable here. THere are those who prefer four, and those who prefer two. I know some breeders who use two horned rams and four horned ewes; others who use four horned rams and two horned ewes, others who use only two horned animals and others who use only four horned animals. Personally, I figure the more options I have, the more sales I’ll have, so I have two and four horned jacobs for sale each year...and generally, sell them to people who are interested not only in horns, but in fleece, conformation, markings, etc. Those “breeders” who say the only true jacob is a four horned jacob are just not really well educated or open minded breeders. In fact, I’d find it hard to call them breeders, for they can certainly CHOOSE to only raise four horned, but to say two horned aren’t true jacobs means they really haven’t studied the breed very well. To them, I would give a copy of Ingrid’s book, “Jacob Sheep in America” and ask them to do a bit more research before making such a comment. Preferences are one thing; facts are another. Genetic diversity includes two horned jacobs as well as four. However, that said, I really didn’t see the guidebook intentionally excluding either two or four horned animals, nor pigmented nor black muzzled, nor white legged nor black socked animals...Perhaps there were leanings one way or the other, but I don’t think that was meant as exclusionary of the other types. We really need to relax a bit here, and just appreciate the guidebook. It is perfectly okay to say to someone, “Here is the guidebook which you might find helpful. I need to add, however, that I really prefer....for .....reasons. You need to decide for yourself.”