[Jacob-list] Mineral/protein tubs

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Tue May 17 10:24:52 EDT 2011

I started to use ADM red blocks in the summer for extra protein and iron -
mostly for my Icelandics who are sensitive to heat and not as resistant to
parasites as the Jacobs and seem to need/want extra minerals. I'd like to
try the tubs but can't find any for sheep around here. I've been told Sweet
Lix is good. The problem I have with the blocks is that they knock them out
of their dish, drag them around and get them dirty - but they love them and
sometimes they eat them up right away and sometimes they last a bit longer.
I have heard block are bad for breaking teeth, but I haven't noticed any
serious problems and don't know a better way to feed protein. I'm also
interested in others' experiences.

My Jacobs always did fine with the basic loose sheep mineral and didn't go
through it all that fast. I use loose salt in the winter and spring -
regular sheep mineral with Se and Redmond salt and this year I added a
little extra selenium yeast powder to the mix. We have low selenium soils,
but I've never had to give BoSe shots so they must be getting enough
selenium with their minerals.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH