[Jacob-list] Rejected lamb

Lasell J. Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Thu May 12 20:13:45 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Joshua Bourget wrote:

> So my question is this...Will this ewe be a better mother next time

> around? and actually care for her lamb? or should i consider

> removing her from my flock. Has anybody had experience with bad

> first time moms that turned out to be great moms once they were

> older??

Hi Josh,

I think your first mistake was to clean up the lamb yourself. Ewes
depend highly on scent to recognize their lambs.

I have seen first time moms look like they are wondering what the
heck is that?! but have figured it out and allowed and later
supported their lamb/s to nurse, etc. I have also seen experienced
moms reject lamb/s and I have to figure they know something I don't
know, which sometimes becomes evident within the first week, although
we regularly make efforts to help each lamb survive, including
cornering the ewe and holding her while the lamb is put on to nurse,
or bottle feeding if needed.

Good luck with making a decision. She could be a great mom next year,
or not.

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org