[Jacob-list] Breech birth

Sue Roenke oliveoyl_123 at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 27 17:04:35 EDT 2011

Marie (I assisted..LOL) pulled a dead ram lamb last year from a ewe (took an hour I am guessing,) and it was obvious the ewe was in pain - nose dragged on the ground the first day or so and walked gingerly (also she was sad I am sure) and she gave her penicillin for possible infection for 5 days and banamine (pain killer) for 3 days and she seems to be fine. We will see what happens as far as her lambing this year, she is a lilac so Marie wants to give her another chance.
At Cornell Sheep Farm where Marie works now, she pulls lambs all the time and they rarely give any treatments unless they can see a ewe in pain, a tear, lots of blood loss, or runs a temperature. She also doesn't always use a sleeve, and normally rinses off between ewes - not terribly sanitary due to time yet the ewes do fine.
Sue