[Jacob-list] Unfortunate lambs

Lasell J Bartlett lasell at lasell.org
Sun Mar 6 10:12:51 EST 2011

On Mar 5, 2011, at 9:40 PM, Johann K wrote:

> The ewe gave no signs that anything was wrong before this

> happened. She had been active and energetic as usual. After

> aborting she just went about her usual business eating and

> following me around shouting. I read that an infection can be a

> cause for abortion,

A few years back more than half the lambs were stillborn pretty much
at full term. The best I could figure is the hay had become
contaminated from something toxic in the barn cat's feces. I forget
what it's called but similar threat to human pregnancies and why
women are advised to stay away from cat litter and feces during
pregnancy. If the ewes had been exposed earlier in their pregnancies,
they would have miscarried is what I was told.

I don't know why the remarkable difference in size of the twins, but
I've seen twins come out and survive, obviously differently sized.

Sorry for your loss.

Lasell J Bartlett
lasell at lasell.org