[Jacob-list] Unfortunate lambs

Johann K johanndiedrich at msn.com
Sat Mar 5 21:40:23 EST 2011

One of my ewes aborted two lambs yesterday, and they were at very
different gestational stages. The larger one was pretty far along, with
wool starting to grow in. Hooves were still soft and jelly like with
the actual hard part only half grown in. Eyes not fully developed yet.
When I opened it's eyes they just looked dull and foggy. It was a
beautifully marked ram lamb though. I'd say it was due to be born
within the next few weeks to a month. It's twin was only a fraction of
it's size. So small that it came out still in it's sack and I didn't
realize there was a lamb inside. I just thought it was some after
birth. As an afterthought I broke open the sack and found it. It had
no wool at all yet, and ears completely flat against it's head. The
bones in its skull had not fused yet, and I think it may have been a
female. It was so small that it was hard to tell. I figured that maybe
the smaller lamb had died for whatever reason weeks or even months ago
and the mother's body finally got around to rejecting it with the good
lamb in tow. Now, I'm starting to wonder though. The small lamb didn't
seem rotten, or any more dead smelling than the large one. Is it
possible that they were two separate overlapping pregnancies? I've read
this can happen.

The ewe gave no signs that anything was wrong
before this happened. She had been active and energetic as usual.
After aborting she just went about her usual business eating and
following me around shouting. I read that an infection can be a cause
for abortion, but it wouldn't explain the huge difference in
developmental ages. Before I disposed of the them I took some pictures
of the bigger one.

I know it's too late to do anything, but I wanted to share what happened since it seems so strange.

Johann