[Jacob-list] GB item: G444R mutation (Tay-Sachs) in Jacob sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Feb 18 17:44:33 EST 2011

Great Britain Listers, Jean Blacknell and JSS members - The Jacob
(American) testing for the Tay-Sachs mutation has hit the 100 carrier mark out of
561 tests; the common source continues to be Turner 183K; son of imports
Trevor UK 326 and Limper B97 GB2111. The mutation in North America has been
reviewed by the JSBA and they have considered this lethal congenital
neurological problem to be non-concerning. Following JSBA counsel, Jacob breeders
in North America apparently need not be alarmed.

Jacob breeders in GB might be interested in a developing study; Jean
Blacknell, Field Supervisor, has been aware of possible GM2 in Jacobs for about
two years. For GB breeders .... I received the following note from England
today: ..... I was interested in the Vet Path paper on the GM2 problem.
We identified an LSD Jacob sheep in the UK and in cooperation with Guys
Hospital ran plasma for HexA and Hex B and discovered the TSD variant in the
Jacob. The flock is quite small (100 ewes, rams and lambs) but had two
confirmed cases of LSD. I note the high carraige of the mutation in the US
but no records of importation from the US. Coincidence? ...... Mark.

I told Mark that we think the source is the UK and our US incidence is
through Turner 183K.

Regards
Fred Horak
St. Jude's Farm