[Jacob-list] Introducing a guardian dog to Jacob sheep...

BIDEWEE at aol.com BIDEWEE at aol.com
Wed Aug 17 14:52:12 EDT 2011

Hi all,
We have an opportunity to get a young (8 month old) pyr/marema cross guard
dog. He's been living with llamas and goats without a problem but
apparently he isn't getting along with the farm dog (a weimaraner) so they're
looking to re-home him. At our place he wouldn't have contact with our farm
dogs so that's not a concern here.

We've been using llamas as guards with mostly good results but all four of
our guard llamas are all getting pretty old (20ish) and several of them
are now arthritic and down on their pasterns.

We recently lost an old ewe to coyotes at our upper barn, with a llama in
the pasture. It happened at night so we don't really know if the llama did
his job by keeping the rest of the sheep safe or if he sat idly by while
the ewe was killed. We did a bunch of work on the fence lines, which we
already thought were in pretty good shape and so far we haven't had any more
kills.

But, the incident has me thinking it might be time for a dog. My question
is, how have those of you who use guard dogs introduced them to your
sheep? Understandably, our sheep aren't fans of our border collie when we use
her to herd them, but will they recognize the different temperament of a
guardian dog? Should they be introduced along a common fence line at first?
Or ??. I'm actually as concerned that the Jacob ewes might take him out as
I am that dog would hurt them.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Karen Lobb

bide a wee farm
registered Jacob & Navajo-Churro Sheep
19562 NE Calkins Lane, Newberg, OR 97132
503-538-7987 / karen at bideaweefarm.com
www.bideaweefarm.com