[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob Breeding Stock"

Catherine Partridge aztreaz2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 12:57:49 EDT 2011

There are a lot of things in the guidebook that will be helpful to our
newcomers, but I must say I am very disappointed that most of the sheep in
it had white legs and the ones with black muzzles, knee spots and black feet
had negative comments with them about freckling and other things.

While white legs and pigmented muzzles are perfectly acceptable I prefer
the black muzzles, knee and hock spots and black feet.
In support of sheep with white legs, I find that the wool quality is better
on these sheep; at least in my flock and previous experience. I think leg
markings make the sheep look better; definitely more balanced in markings,
but I like the wool quality on the sheep with white legs. When this subject
came up before, someone else on the list, sells the processed wool, wrote in
and noticed the same thing. I try and keep both sheep types in my flock.

Cathy
Moscow. Idaho