[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob Breeding Stock"

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Wed Aug 10 08:42:16 EDT 2011

Neal,

The piebald seems pretty recessive to me and it seems to work a lot like the
Icelandic spotting. My first Icelandic ram carried spots and got out and
bred 7 Jacob ewes accidently - both my rams at the time were door breakers
and they worked together. Almost half of his crosses were spotted and
mostly Jacob-like in patterns - with great horn sets too, but they had short
tails and different wool so you couldn't mistake them for a pure Jacob.
Since then, I haven't had any spotted Icelandic/Jacob crosses, just the
black with maybe a little white at the poll.

My Tunis/Jacob ewe has never produced obvious spotting before though. Her
yearling daughter has a blaze, a half white tail and some white feet, but
this year's wether lamb really has an interesting spot pattern, very Jacob
like but a bit unique too. His body spots marble together a bit and his
legs and head are much lighter. His 2011 sister is typical black with poll
spots and 4 horns.

Heather Hettick