[Jacob-list] New Booklet "Guide to Selection of Jacob BreedingStock"

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Aug 9 17:59:22 EDT 2011

"My son will be showing a 75% Jacob (25% Tunis) in a 4H market lamb class
in
September - if he makes weight of 90# - he was 68# at last check. If not,
he really looks like a solid, but short little market lamb, except for the
spots. He is actually polled, which helps, but some people still mistook
him for a goat at lamb tagging and since he got shorn, he looks like a
little Holstein calf."

I recently saw a small flock of Katadins that included 3 piebald ewes. The
man did said they were in the flock when he purchased them, and that they
raised off the best lambs of the bunch. Having seen the same characteristics
in 1/2 Corriedale/ 1/2 Jacob ewes, I wonder exactly how recessive the
piebald gene is.

Neal Grose