[Jacob-list] I need some advice.......

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Thu Apr 7 15:44:05 EDT 2011

We just had our first lambs born here @ Stonecroft. Unfortunately the 2nd lamb, a little ram, was born with a deformed right front leg.....it is half the size of the other leg and there appears to be malformation also at the junction of the leg and shoulder. He has been nursing with my help but hasn't figured out yet how to balance on 2 rear and just 1 front leg. He appears normal otherwise, drinks normally, poops normally, etc. and the ewe is not rejecting him. Has anyone had experience with this? I would guess that missing a hind leg would be easier for a four-legged animal......do you think he will adapt and be able to balance and walk? I guess I'm asking for advice on what is the humane thing to do for this little fellow.
BTW - this is the first time we've had anything like this in the 15 yrs. we've had Jacob sheep.
Thanks.
Sue Martin
Stonecroft