[Jacob-list] Parasite seminar

Susan J Martin stcroft at ptd.net
Tue Apr 5 16:11:54 EDT 2011

Our local vet practice consisting of 10 veterinarians offered a free fecal clinic today. We could take as many fecal samples as we wanted for free parasite testing and also a seminar was conducted by Dr. Donald Bliss, Ph.D of MidAmerican Ag. Research. See www.midamericaresearch.net. It was very informative, he was very gracious at answering questions and the crowd was a motley group -- dairymen, steer farmers, alpaca growers, sheep and goat people. Dr. Bliss showed us in detail how to do our own fecal exams and I was extremely pleased to learn that the specimens I took from our ewes were all clean......and the ram showed very minimal stomach worms for which I will be treating him for according to recommendations. I would highly recommend this seminar should it become available to you in your area.

Also, as an aside.....I know eagles are many times not appreciated by sheep farmers....but should you find them fascinating, check http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles for a live web cam of an eagle nest. The chicks just hatched recently. Here in southeastern PA eagles are becoming more common due to efforts at reintroducing them......in fact, there is a nest not far from us.....and should they decide to dine on one of our lambs, I will certainly be less fascinated with them! (Already lost a little red hen to a red tailed hawk!).

Sue Martin
Stonecroft