[Jacob-list] Two Horned /Four Horned

Lynette Frick lynettefrick at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 01:30:31 EDT 2010

Well, on the subject of quality 2 horned sheep selling equal, I do have to
admit that I personally preferred them, and had several people that wanted
them over the four horned. I personally liked the "clean" look of the ewes,
and the challenge of aiming for quality two horned offspring... not an easy
feat. I kept about equal of both in my flock though, as having the diversity
of choice is what makes the Jacob sheep unique. From the experience I had
with my sheep, I saw lots of good four horn sets out of 2x4 crosses in
either direction, so didn't cull based on number of horns, just quality in
either type. I also didn't cross 2X4 to improve either type. They just got
better as I cleared the lower quality out of either. I did have a ram with
SUED, and never had any lambs born out of 2 horn ewes get SUED. Whereas,
when the same ram was used over a four horn it displayed every time. Also,
got SUED out of a four horn ewe who was absolutely clear out of different
lineage, crossed with a 2 horn ram with normal eyes. So take it as you will?
If anybody is interested in my standpoint on horns, it would be to pick the
strong and clear of either type. As a shearer though the two horns do have
the bonus of being substancially easier to shear :)

PS. Had some "claw" horned ewes with strong claws give me beautiful sets
too. Maybe a good percent of the qualityof horns, in 4 horns is in the
individuals genetics, and the rest is chance.

It's good to see so much healthy debate lately!

Lynette
Four Points Shearing & Sheep Co.