[Jacob-list] Primitive/ Improved Discussion

Shari Staines mikesharikids at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 20:11:42 EDT 2010

Thank you everyone for your responses!

I really enjoyed learning more about everyone's viewpoint.    I want to ask one question about registrations of 4 horn vs. 2 horn animals.  With nearly 50% of the registered sheep population in 2009 being of the 2 horn variety, do you think it possible that there are a lot more 4 horn sheep that are not being submitted for registration because breeders think (or feel certain) that they would NOT pass the registration process?  (Therefore, they are culled and off the radar.)  What if the breed standard is unintentionally encouraging more 2 horn registered sheep?   One might consider that since it is much more difficult to breed registerable (ideal in type) 4 horn sheep, there are probably a lot of people breeding 4 horn sheep that do not get registered.  Therefore, the registered number of 2 horn sheep may be weighted high and may not be as significant as the true ratio of 4 horn births to 2 horn births.   (This is really a
question more than a statement.  Does anyone have a comment?)

Thanks again for everyone's input on this very relevant topic. Have a good night!

Shari Staines
www.neverwinterfarm.com