[Jacob-list] Primitive/ Improved Discussion

Neal Grose nlgrose at yadtel.net
Tue Sep 28 19:00:01 EDT 2010

"My other question regarding the horns is this. . .Is it not true that we need to breed 2 horn animals somewhat frequently within the 4 horn population to keep the incidence of SUED down? AND, to give strength to the horn formation? And, is there any scientific proof of those things or only "live and learn" type stories? I'd like to hear any feedback on that."

There was some data gathered on this a few years back. There was no difference in the incidence of SUED offspring between (4 horn X 4 horn) and (2 horn X 4 horn). This would tend to confirm our observation that if you want good 4 horn confirmation, then you really need to consistently breed for good 4 horn animals; and in order to do that, you have to measure (or gauge) the effect in the sheep from generation to generation.

Neal Grose
North Carolina