[Jacob-list] 2 vs 4 hornsa

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:26:38 EDT 2010

Shari,

I have both 2 and 4 horned sheep, but I would say I value a good 4 horned
sheep a bit more. For two reasons:

One is that 4 horned sheep are one of the characteristics that is really
special to Jacobs, not necessarily unique as other breeds have 4 horns, but
besides the spots/markings, it's one of the "trademark" characteristics that
people recognize associated with Jacobs.

Two - is that it's not easy to get a really good set of 4 horns
consistently. There are always funny angles, broken horns, too close, extra
horns, fused, split eyelids etc. that don't quite make the cut. Sometimes
it's genetic and sometimes things happen to effect their horns or other
important characteristics as well - I like the challenge of 4 horns and
accept frustrations as part of it.

I do think that the challenge, uniqueness and the fact that they aren't
guaranteed, makes them worth a bit more.

Heather Hettick
Moonstruck Farm
Creston, OH
www.moonstruckfarm.wordpress.com