[Jacob-list] UK jacobs

Black Sheep westergladstone at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 17 17:26:49 EDT 2010

I too will be at the Carlisle rare breeds sale but in my case it will be to grade the Hebridean entries. The reason I no longer keep Jacob sheep is that here in the UK they have become enormous - too big for me to handle these days - and in my experience have lost their primitive characteristics, particularly carefree lambing. 40 or so years ago, Jacobs here were much more primitive and about the same size as Hebrideans. There does seem to have been a conscious move amongst Jacob breeders over here to go for size. I am not convinced this was the best course of action. But that's just me. It will be interesting to see what the Jacobs are like at Carlisle. I will be the one shaking my head and muttering to myself I expect.
Gordon.
www.scothebs.co.uk